50 BMG
  Photo Gallery
  Contact Serbu
  Legacy Web Site


What the hell is this NFA stuff?  NFA stands for the National Firearms Act, which was passed by Congress in 1934. The NFA provides for the registration and tax of certain types of weapons: machine guns, silencers, short-barreled rifles, sawed-off shotguns and gadget guns (which are considered to be AOWs- Any Other Weapon. 

Obviously, the BFG-50 rifle is NOT an NFA weapon, though there are bills in Congress working to change that). The popular story is that the NFA was passed to help curb the violence of the "Roaring '20s", brought about mostly because of Prohibition.  Anyone who knows anything about the way our Federal Government works will realize that with the ending of Prohibition in 1933, something had to be done with all those Treasury agents, and enforcing a new batch of bogus laws was just the ticket.  The $200 tax levied by the NFA ($5 for AOWs) was, in 1934, an incredibly large sum.  Now it's mostly an annoyance.  The bottom line is that yes, you can buy a machine gun, silencer, or other similarly evil weapon (that's a joke, of course...evil is not a trait which objects can possess), provided that you live in a state which allows them.  You'll have to jump through a few hoops and pay the tax, but at least you can still buy this stuff.  So here is a step-by step guide for buying an NFA item from Serbu Firearms, Inc.:

Full auto firearms are also registered under the National Firearms Act of 1934, however, the ironically named Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 prohibited the civilian registration of full-auto firearms made since that date - which is why we can't offer these fun toys for sale.

Make sure the item you want is legal in your state.  Some states ban all NFA weapons, some ban just certain types.

  1. Contact a local Class 3 dealer or Class 2 manufacturer and find out what needs to be done in your state in order to purchase an NFA item.
  2. Make sure you can get a sign off.  This is the major snag to buying an NFA item.  To complete your BATF paperwork (BATF Form 4) which transfers the NFA item to you, you'll need the signature of a local law enforcement chief.  Not just a street cop, but the Sheriff, State's Attorney, etc.  Said person is not required to sign the form, and in many locations around the country, won't.
  3. Form a corporation.  This is a loophole which gets you around the sign off.  Do this ONLY if you can't get a sign off.  The down side is that there are many hassles associated with forming and maintaining a corporation.  Another down side is that the corporation owns the guns, you don't.
  4. Send money. Usually your local dealer charges a fee for handling the transfer.
  5. Wait. The dealer-to-dealer paperwork usually takes at least 30 days, and we're usually backordered to the point where your dealer won't see a gun, silencer, whatever, for 45-60 days.
  6. Rejoice when your gun comes in! Welcome to the restrictive, elite and fun world of NFA. Here in the U.S., we enjoy as a Constitutionally protected right something which most nations of the world have stripped from their subjects....uh....citizens. Be responsible and safe!

State Information

ALL the stuff you see on this page is legal per Federal law, while many states choose to outlaw some or all of it.

Our silencers are legal in most states, but are not legal in: CA, HI, KS, MO, IA, MN, IL, MI, NJ, NY, MA, RI. Short barrelled or sawed off shotguns are illegal in MA, and probably some of these other states as well. It is not possible for Serbu Firearms to maintain a current list of all state laws, so please make sure any NFA item you are ordering is legal in your state before initiating the lengthy paperwork process.

Please don't ask us to "sell one to your parents" if you happen to live in one of these states.  Our silencers and short barreled shotguns are very reasonably priced but the cost goes to around $250,000 or 10 years in jail if you happen to possess one illegally in one of the above mentioned states.