Serbu Firearms, Inc., Tampa, Florida Forum Index Serbu Firearms, Inc., Tampa, Florida
Get it from the horse's mouth!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reloading Shopping List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Serbu Firearms, Inc., Tampa, Florida Forum Index -> Reloading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrScience
Plebe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reloading Shopping List Reply with quote

**First Post*** I am looking for a lil help planning out my re-loading shopping list. Just ordered my BFG-50 DTC from Mark (I can hardly wait - feel like a 5 year old at X-Mas) and want to get started picking up necessary equipt. I need everything. Also any help in where to order from for lowest price would be great also. It has been many years (very many) since I reloaded shotgun shells and have long since got rid of all my old stuff. I would rather spend a bit more for nicer stuff instead of just going with the cheapest providing it is worth it.

Also any equipment that you can sugest that I will need for maintenance and cleaning of the new beast as well.

I will be seeing many of you So Cal shooters at the ranges soon (go Mark go).
mrkubota
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will give you a pretty good idea of a basic setup:

http://www.50bmg.net/group.asp?grp=30

The Lee kit will be the least expensive, but you will need to have custom DTC 1.25" dies made for it (about a 6mo wait)
www.midwayusa.com is having a sale on the BMG press kit at 159.00 right now.

The Hornady or RCBS based kits will need to use the www.ch4d.com 1.5" die set (.510DTC-EDM)

With any of the presses, you will need a VERY sturdy bench!

If you're in SoCal, most of the ranges but for Lytle Creek, won't let you shoot any steel cored projos, but AP (black tip) bullets are the least expensive milsurp you'll find these days for the CA market. Darin Prince and Al Burghard make a relatively inexpensive brass projo that's allowed at the ranges and shoots pretty well too.

Looking for starter ammo? www.edmarms.com has sold 'forming' ammo to Serbu shooters in the past and I too, am gearing up to manufacture small runs of it.

If you're near the San Bernardino area, you're certainly welcome to come by my shop and use the equipment to learn the conversion/loading process for the DTC cartridge.
I have both the Lee and Hornady presses available along with the appropriate die sets.

//Ben

http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/50dtc/lee_dtc_00.jpg

Last edited by mrkubota on Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
w_rigdon
Dangerous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my 50 I have the LEE press and dies. I love it. I just done my first batch of 100 rounds and going to the range this weekend.
NYS
Know-it-all

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Science,
I have a friend that had a couple of sets of 50 DTC-EDM dies made for his Lee 50 bmg press.He was selling them for $160+s/h a set.He shoots a serbu also.Post here if you want me to see if he has any left to sell.
SJC
NYS
Know-it-all

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Science,
I got an e mail and the die set is available for the Lee press,as well as some new TZZ brass (primed/sized/trimmed) ready to load for your .510.
Dies-$160 plus insurance and s/h
Brass-$37.50 for 25ct
Let me know and I will get you in touch with him.
SJC
MrScience
Plebe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYS wrote:
Mr Science,
I got an e mail and the die set is available for the Lee press,as well as some new TZZ brass (primed/sized/trimmed) ready to load for your .510.
Dies-$160 plus insurance and s/h
Brass-$37.50 for 25ct
Let me know and I will get you in touch with him.
SJC

If you are referring to Mr Kubota I have been E-Mailing him as well and he has offered me much advice and let me know he is the one with the Lee custom dies.

Sounds like the Lee press and dies are the way to go (people speak highly of them and they are much cheaper). I am going to try and setup a time with Mr Kubota and see his setup and get a lesson in reloading as well since he is only about 20 mins away from me.

I want to thank all of you for the great info and I am looking forward to meeting and shooting with a few of you when my BFG-DTC is done (go-Mark-go). Damn I am excited and the waiting is killing me. Its only been a couple of days and it feels like weeks. Its a good thing that there are many other things to pick-up to be ready and waiting for my Serbu or I would just go nuts.
NYS
Know-it-all

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got in touch with him on another site,so it might be his alter ego I was PMing.
SJC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Serbu Firearms, Inc., Tampa, Florida Forum Index -> Reloading All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: